Monday, October 16, 2006

PERSONALS: WHO'S WHO & WHAT'S UP - Time tackles idea of Obama in 2008

PERSONALS: WHO'S WHO & WHAT'S UP - Time tackles idea of Obama in 2008
Copyright © 2006, Chicago Tribune
Published October 16, 2006

Time hit the campaign trail with Democratic Sen. Barack Obama for a cover story in the magazine's latest issue, which bears a headline that reflects the thought on the minds of many: "Why Barack Obama Could Be the Next President."

The article -- which runs alongside excerpts from Obama's new book, "The Audacity of Hope"--follows the freshman senator while he stumps for Democrats running in November's midterm congressional elections. Obama fends off questions about running for president by saying that he's focusing on the midterm vote now.

But will he think about it when the congressional election is over?

"When the election is over and my book tour is done, I will think about how I can be most useful to the country and how I can reconcile that with being a good dad and a good husband," Obama tells the article's author, Joe Klein, adding, "I haven't completely decided or unraveled that puzzle yet."

Obviously, a cautious Obama is not ready to make the leap just yet, Klein notes.

"In setting your expectations for me now, just remember I haven't announced that I'm running in 2008," Obama says in the article. "I would expect that anyone who's running in 2008, you should have very high expectations for them."

----------

The Personals page was compiled by Cheryl Bowles from Tribune news services and staff reports.

No comments: